October 23, 2012

(brian) sorg mcmuffin

There was a time when I ate egg mcmuffins more times a month than I'd like to admit...I was helpless; they're the perfect size & I love every component. I eventually became aware of factory farming, over-crowded chickens, food inc, etc & swore off mcdonalds (and meat) for life. I haven't hit the golden arches since & just assumed I was destined to live an egg mcmuffin deprived existence. 


Luckily the universe had other plans...while you may be thinking all egg mcmuffins are alike, this just isn't true. I would beg, borrow & steal for brian's version. Like all great things, it takes time & a lot more dishes to clean but I think I prefer it this way. It's special & therefore always appreciated.


Sorg McMuffin (serves 2)

3 eggs from Vital FarmsIrv & Shellys (or any other free-range, pastured hen eggs)
1/2 shallot, diced
1 heaping spoonful of sour cream
Slices of high-quality cheddar (+ extra for snacking)
2 cloves garlic, minced & mixed w/1 tbsp melted butter
salt & pepper (preferably the grinders from trader joes)
2 Bay's English Muffins 

Heat small skillet over low & whisk together eggs, shallot, sour cream, salt & pepper, pouring mixture into skillet. Treat these as if you were scrambling eggs, stirring, eventually separating into two formed patties & laying cheese on top of each, covering the pan so it begins to melt. Turn off heat while they are still loose (you don't want to overcook).

While this is happening...

Toast english muffins in toaster oven on low, pull out when lightly toasted and brush generously with melted garlic butter. Add egg 'patties' to make sandwich, then toast a couple more minutes, keeping a watchful eye out so they don't get burnt.

Pull out and devour.


Bacon is of course, optional, but either way I promise these to be 100 times better than that 'scottish fine dining breakfast establishment' as referred to by the comedian for which these sandwiches are named. 

Photos © Brian Sorg




No comments:

Post a Comment