October 29, 2012

that magnificent mile


Downtown chicago was just a train ride away so I grew up spending a lot of time here. I have fond memories of shopping at bloomingdales with my mom, feeling cool at north avenue beach with my friends or watching the baby chicks hatch at the museum of science & industry with my family. Actually, I still do all of these things, come to think of it. 


Despite having spent many summers downtown & ultimately choosing this great city to reside in after graduating from college, it wasn't until recent years that I came to realize how little I knew about its rich & interesting history. 


For example, Streeterville, which is now a luxurious neighborhood of high rises, shopping, fine dining & tourist destinations came about through a classic chicago tale. In the 1880's George 'Cap' Streeter, a talented scam artist & less talented captain put down claim to the lakefront land around his shipwrecked schooner. Multiple gunfights with local law & court battles eventually led to his eviction & ultimately the urbanization of one of Chicago's most famous & wealthy neighborhoods.


While I could certainly get used to this lifestyle & of course the view, I prefer it best as a place to visit (frequently, as my parents are here). Chicago has so much to offer & the sky is the limit. 

Photos © Brian Sorg

Besides, if an eccentric man was able to inspire a neighborhood, there's no telling what's in store for me. 

wedges x jimmy choo, jeans x citizens of humanity, sweater x minnie rose via fuschia boutique

1 comment:

  1. This first image is very cool!
    Love your outfit too, pink and flouncy is always nice.

    ReplyDelete