October 15, 2012

no soup for you...(not)

You know you're a lentil soup junkie when the taste of lebanon's owner jokes that he'll have to give you the recipe & your boyfriend remarks that you should be a lentil for halloween. I just can't help myself; soup season is here & I'd eat theirs everyday if I could. 

While I wouldn't dream of trying to recreate it, tomato soup seemed like fair game. I prefer thick & hearty over pureed & cream-based so worked w/Ina Garten's pappa al pomodoro, adding & eliminating per my taste (for example, I don't see the appeal of mushy bread chunks, so those were history).

I do love a good dipper however...the taste of lebanon provides a super thin pita, so I followed suit & featured some of life's (my) simple pleasures, bread & cheese. 


Cozy is a wooly hat & a mug of soup. Lentil or tomato, washed or unwashed locks...it's all good. 


Spicy Tomato 'Soup'
2 yellow onions, diced
3 carrots, diced (skin on is fine)
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 - 28oz cans San Marzano tomatos (diced if available)
4 cups stock (publican quality meats sells homemade stock, much to my delight)
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 c red wine
1/4 tsp cayenne (or more, although I predictably got carried away...I'd start here)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (opt)
1 tbsp salt + more to taste
1 tbsp pepper

Parmesan Dippers
Fresh loaf of french/sourdough/ciabatta sliced 1/4 - 1/2" thick
1/2 c freshly grated parmesan-reggiano
Olive oil

1. Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in pot over med-high. Add onions, garlic, carrots and sauté for 10 minutes.

2. Add tomatoes, stock, wine, cayenne, red pepper, salt, pepper & simmer for 45 minutes, partially covered. Season to taste. Seriously, it's that easy.

While this is happening...

3. Preheat oven to 250, lay bread slices on pan in single layer, drizzle w/olive oil, generously sprinkle w/parmesan and cook 10 min, or until cheese is melted (as melted as parm gets).

Serve with a glass of wine, sans spoon & get dippin'!

Photo © Brian Sorg

1 comment: