May 22, 2013

a soggy outlook

© Bill Watterson
This morning I was Calvin. Metaphorically speaking, but only because it is Wednesday & I am not a small human. Last night Brian and I got into an argument over butter (truth) & my plan to swing by the farmers market before work and pick out the vegetable & herb plants we'll be growing was cruelly taken from me by what I consider my #1 enemy in life. 

via tumblr
It's as though this artist got into my head and depicted me perfectly. Except my hair would be in a ponytail... 

via
Not the 'ponytail' Gwyneth executes with ease, but the kind that happens when your hair refuses to cooperate in light of the rain, humidity & fact that you have no A/C because you just found out you have to replace the entire thing which is super cheap on opposite day. 


This is what popcorn looks like popped off the cob when it's soldiering around with Brian's pride and joy fully stocked bar. Cob popcorn is totally fun & awesome & delicious, especially with butter & not olive oil & I call that a compromise. Why, you ask? Let me recount the events:
Rachel: "I don't want any butter" as Brian is pulling out the butter from the fridge.
Brian: "Seriously? Who eats popcorn without butter?? What are you going to do then because I want butter." I would describe Brian's demeanor at this point as incredulous.
Rachel: "I want olive oil. I'm not eating butter, we can have separate bowls." It goes without saying that I am cool as a cucumber.
Brian: "You're not eating butter?? Since when?? A little butter is not going to clog your arteries. This is getting ridiculous." At this point we have reached disbelief & annoyance.
Rachel: "Since a while. It's not about my arteries, it's about the factory cows being abused and I can't support that." I'm in the chill zone because I know I'm right.
Brian: "Rachel, we never cook with butter. Except when we make popcorn. Which happens maybe every 6 months. I refuse to have separate popcorn bowls and I know you like popcorn with butter. I understand your point, but I also believe in moderation and living life." He's right. Per usual. Which isn't annoying at all. 
Rachel: "Fine. Make it your way* and tomorrow I'm buying butter at the farmer's market where they are good to their cows**." Which I did this morning. 
The point to this story besides how awesome I am at compromise? Life is short. Too short to let rain ruin your outlook***, too short to be so rigid & strict that you miss the big picture & too short to live without appreciation. I'm fortunate to have access to one of the best farmer's markets in the country & while I prefer my food animal-product free, there are farmers who treat their animals with respect, humanity & kindness & that is something to be thankful for. And something worth getting behind & supporting.

© Gary Larson
It could happen...

*Brian used 1/4 the amount of butter he would normally use, commenting that the popcorn 'tasted like the paper bag we cooked it in' but that he was compromising. Upon a few handfuls, I announced that I was fine if he wanted to add some more butter, which he refused on principle. And they say I'm the stubborn one...

**In an ironic twist, it was an old college friend that sold me the butter as he works for the dairy farm. I never would have run into him otherwise. 

***A special thanks to the boys behind the counter at Elaine's Coffee Call (who also support those farmers) for making it impossible for me to start my day wrong. Even if they do charge me an arm and a leg for my almond milk latte. 




No comments:

Post a Comment